Maybe if we had the option, we would always choose to go to the hairdresser when we want a change of look for the hair. The problem is that sometimes, due to lack of time or money, we put off haircuts that would make us feel renewed and better with ourselves. Well, it doesn’t have to be this way, there are many simple techniques for beginners that you can use to change your look at home.
That is why we want to tell you how to layer your hair. The good thing about this type of cut is that, although it is very easy to do, it gives volume and movement to straight hair. In this way, if you are bored and do not want a radical change that you cannot make in a hairdressing salon, this is an excellent way to achieve it from the comfort of your home. Stay with us and discover how to cut your hair in layers at home step by step.
How to layer your hair?
Let’s start with the easiest technique to practice to achieve a slight scaled cut without being too noticeable. If you feel a little insecure about cutting your hair yourself, this is a great way to start, as you can later cut more layers if you feel like it.
Of course: for each of these techniques we recommend using very sharp scissors. The blunt or rounded tip scissors are not useful, nor the scissors with which you cut paper since these are losing the edge and can damage your hair. It is recommended to use professional hairdressing scissors, but if you do not have it, make sure that they are at least well sharpened. Now yes, we leave you how to cut the hair in layers step by step :
- Dampen your hair. You can wait for it to dry a bit after bathing or use a spray bottle with water.
- Comb it very well until there are no knots.
- Bring all the hair forward and comb it to make it even on the scalp.
- Make yourself a ponytail at the crown of the head. Tie it very tightly to make it firm.
- Optionally, you can use a tape measure to measure the length from the base of the ponytail to the tip. This way you can decide how many centimetres to cut with more precision. If it measures 30 cm, for example, it will look good if you cut from 25 cm.
- Re-comb the ponytail and stretch it very well upwards so that you do not have hairs on the outside.
- Use your fingers to mark the point that you will cut and cut. You can also use a hair elastic.
Stretch the ponytail back up and comb. Cut off the uneven ends.
- Correct until smooth.
If you’re having trouble stretching your ponytail fully, fraction it with hairbands to keep it in place.
Cut hair in short layers with long hair
If you want to give the hair volume and shape, you can follow the same method as before, but with a difference: this time we will make the layers dividing the hair at different heights so that we have more layers left in the final cut. Keep in mind that if you do it this way, the scaling will be more marked and the layers shorter.
Learning how to cut hair in this way is also very simple, take the scissors, a comb, several pigtails and follow these steps:
- Wet the hair and style it until it is free of knots.
- If you don’t want to touch the length of your hair, leave the first layer of hair untied.
- Pick up hair from the base of the ear and back. Bring all that part of the hair forward and do a ponytail just above the crown. Make sure you collect all your hair.
- As in the previous method, cut the tip of the short you want. Pair as many times as you need and let your hair down.
- Pull back your hair again, this time from eye level. Make yourself a ponytail again, stretch it and comb it up.
- Cut the ends, match and release.
Although you can keep cutting higher, this will suffice for a nice, balanced scaled cut, with the layers shorter than the previous method.
Cut layered hair short
The two previous methods are very useful when you have long and straight hair since you can collect it all in one ponytail and carry it forward, but can you do the same if you want to cut short hair in layers? In these cases, since it is very difficult to collect all the hair in a single ponytail, it is best to do it in parts.
Although more laborious, this method can also be used to cut long hair if it is difficult to control it in a single ponytail. Follow these steps to put it into practice if you have shoulder hair:
- Moisten the hair.
- Gather the lower part of the hair at the level of the ears, so that you have a first loose part. Pick up with a tweezer to keep it in place and comb the hair down.
- Divide your loose hair in two. Make a ponytail on each side.
- Stretch the ponytail and style it very well. Cut the ends as we have explained in the previous methods. Pair if necessary.
- Leave the ponytail on so that you have a guide to the hair that you should take on the next layer.
- Pick up another section of hair back, but leave the sideburns on the outside. Repeat the procedure: divide the hair and make two pigtails. Cut the same amount as in the previous layer. You can cut more hair in the second layer if you want the scaling to be more marked.
- Do the same with a third layer above.
Finish off by picking the sideburns up and cutting them to exactly the same height as the third layer. Ready!
You may like also to read https://engagingelk.co.uk/